The School Link is likely to be the next project after the Western Rail Trail opens mid-2016.
Good News! Hamilton City Council voted yesterday to include $3 million of dedicated funding for cycling infrastructure in the 10 Year Budget. Not quite the $10 million we asked for, and short of the $14 million Cr. Macpherson suggested as a fair portion of the transport budget. Thanks for all your submissions, we couldn't have done it without you!
Hamilton City Council is proposing a 5.5km separated bike route to enable kids to safely bike to school.
Safer streets and a separated bike route connecting...
- Hukanui Primary School
- Bankwood School
- Fairfield College
- St Paul’s Collegiate
- Fairfield Intermediate
- Fairfield Primary School
- Insoll Ave School
- St Joseph’s Catholic School
- Woodstock School
- Te Ara Rima School
- Southwell School
- Peachgrove Intermediate
- Hamilton Boys’ High School
- Marian Catholic School
- Sacred Heart Girls’ College
...with connections to Wairere Drive and local roads.
The School Link will get more kids biking safely to school.
The benefits include:
- Reduced congestion around school Pick Up/Drop Off time
- Safer roads outside of schools
- Give parents peace of mind about safety
- Promote healthy and active kids
- Save parents time and money
- Encourage independence as kids grow up
- Introduce a new generation to biking in a region with many great bike routes
- Connect more of Hamilton's off road cycle network
The Biking Plan (Click HERE to read!) is the blueprint for the development of biking Hamilton.